This quick and easy coconut curry might be a bit untraditional, but trust us, it’s delicious. Don’t forget to whip up some rice to soak up all that saucy goodness. Check out our step-to-step guide on how to cook rice for the fluffiest rice ever. (Catch ya later, dry takeout rice!)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 large shallots, minced
- Kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (13-oz) can coconut milk
- 1/2 water
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- Juice of ½ lime
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Mint leaves, torn, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, torn, for serving
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large pot or high-sided skillet over medium heat, heat oil and butter. When butter is melted, add onion and shallots and cook until tender and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and curry powder and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add tomato paste and cook until darkened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add coconut milk and water and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and garnish with mint and cilantro. Serve hot with rice.